Italiano English

Cathedral of Saint Ambrose

The building of the Cathedral dedicated to Saint Ambrose, Bishop of Milan, was started by the Duke Francesco II Sforza in 1532 to a design by Antonio da Lonate and consecrated on 24th April 1612.

Dscf0059_p.jpgThe Baroque facade - designed by Bishop Juan Caramuel y Lobkowitz - was juxtaposed to remedy the asymmetry of the square in front.

The Latin cross interior, which has three aisles, contains some remarkable works of art, amongst which valuable paintings by Cesare Magni and Bernardino Ferrari. On the high altar there is an eighteenth century altar frontal featuring figures embroidered in silk and gold and parts salvaged from a set of sixteenth century vestments.
In the right transept there are paintings said to be the work of Macrino d'Alba and Bernardino Ferrari (early XVI century).

Adjacent to the Cathedral of Saint Ambrose is the Museo del Tesoro del Duomo: Most of the exhibits contained in the Museum of Cathedral Treasures are gifts by Francesco II Sforza (1534).
The museum is the home of precious choirbooks and manuscripts illuminated Agostino and Ferrante Decio, an ivory bishop’s crook. The incredibly valuable reliquary called "La Pace", a precious piece of art made of silver and engraved in gold which comes from the Lombard school (XVI century), chalices and reliquaries from various eras, a sixteenth century vestment embroidered in pure gold which was used in Monza in 1805 for the coronation of Napoleon Bonaparte
The most important exhibit in the museum are two series of Flemish tapestries coming from Brussels (1520) and Audenaarde (early XVII century) depicting the parable of the prodigal son, the stories of Esther and Ahasuerus, stories of Joseph the Jew and stories of Alexander the Great.

Document Actions

published on 2018/12/12 09:53:00 GMT+0 last modified 2019-05-13T16:36:15+00:00